The League of Women Voters, well-known promoters of good government, endorsed Prop 1 yesterday. In a letter to the campaign, the League cited increased checks and balances and responsiveness to the people as reasons for their endorsement.
The League also cited these benefits of Home Rule:
- Allow counties the authority to determine organization, procedures and powers of their own government;
- Deliver a maximum of freedom for control by either the state legislature or state administrative offices;
- Allow true local government with freedom of choice in establishing a form of county government;
- Provide the county the power to meet the needs of their citizens; and
- Prevent legislative interference in matters relating only to county affairs.
You can read more about the League here.